”For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” -Psalm 139: 13-16

On October 25, 2012 at around 5:00 A.M., my husband Chris and I were  walking down a hall hand in hand and both extremely excited. The only thing I was worried about that day was if I did a good enough job shaving my legs. Then, all of a sudden we found ourselves in the middle of the ocean sitting in chairs in a wooden shed with two missing walls.  Chris was seated in front of a wall with a window behind him, while I was across from him with a wall missing behind me. I peered through the window behind Chris’ head and saw black clouds, heavy rain, and a tsunami wave coming towards us.  I then looked over to my left and there was another tsunami wave headed our direction. I started to panic and hastily looked at Chris and saw him mouthing the words, “I love you” to me. And then, the tsunami waves engulfed us.  Immediately, I awoke with a heavy heart and a sense of fear.  My heart was racing and I was covered in sweat wondering if this was just a dream or whether Hurricane Sandy had made an unexpected landfall in Virginia Beach.  Deep down in the depths of my soul, I knew that it meant something more.

On Wednesday September 26, 2012, I woke up, headed to the gym, and went on about my typical day. That afternoon, I had a dental appointment scheduled for a routine cleaning and to figure out why my gums were aching, which I had been experiencing for a few weeks. At the appointment, I was told everything looked fine and they were unsure of the cause of my aching  gums. While driving home, I pondered what it could be.  I wanted to get to the bottom of this nuisance in my mouth.

Immediately after arriving home around 4:30 that afternoon, I did something that changed my life forever. The stick read positive! I was finally pregnant. I did not believe it at first, nor did Chris. I had so many negative results  just weeks prior to this. Could it be true? Could I really be pregnant? After everything we had been through, I was beyond elated. Chris and I have been married nearly 10 years. Yet, throughout the past 10 years, we have had more difficulties and struggles than most seemingly endure during a lifetime.

In 2008, the doctors suggested that I should not have kids due to it being too dangerous with my long term heart/adrenal condition. We were devastated. Last year, however, a POTS specialist confirmed that we could in fact get pregnant, but that it would be considered high risk. After many months of agony and prayer over what to do, we decided to try. We had a strong desire to have kids, and I could not believe after all I had been through in my life that I was finally pregnant.  Just to confirm that it was real,  I took two more pregnancy tests, and both were positive.  It finally made sense why my gums had been aching – it’s a sign of pregnancy. After a few weeks of telling everyone but our parents, we drove back to Tennessee and gave them the biggest surprise and shock of their lives.

Weeks passed, and I continued to get bigger by the day. Yet, I still remained constantly hungry. Some of my clothes weren’t fitting anymore.  I couldn’t wait much longer, as we were getting closer to “Junior’s” first picture. October 16th was my 32nd birthday, and my after-dinner fortune cookie read, “A small gift can bring joy to the whole family.” The lucky numbers were 25, 15, 47, 32, 16, 55. How perfect was my fortune? Even some of the numbers were lucky.

October 25, 2012, the date of the first ultrasound, finally arrived. Hand in hand, Chris and I were ecstatic as we walked in for the ultrasound. Upon arrival at the check-in desk, the receptionist informed us that we have gone to the wrong location. Fifteen minutes later, we made it to the right location just in time to wait and wait and wait some more. After an hour-plus of sitting and watching people who arrived after us go back, we were finally called back to hear our baby’s heart beat. What happened next changed our lives forever.

To be continued in part two (11/30/12)….